I blogged for the first time on a lazy Sunday afternoon in July, and I haven’t regretted it ever since.
It was something I instantly became obsessed with; I can remember writing 7-10 posts hot days in August when I had nothing to do.
Looking back to that first day, I can see that my motivations for blogging largely remain the same, however there are some new ones.
So here are my Top 10 reasons for blogging:
- I blog because I enjoy blogging. Blogging acts as a channel of expression for me; a means for sorting out all the crazy, random idea that my brain cooks up. Sort of like a diary, except one that everyone can see.
- I blog because I enjoy writing and want to get better at it. Writing is probably my best skill and I find the best way to express my emotions, thoughts and ideas. The only way to improve is to keep writing, and blogging allows me to do this without it feeling like “work”.
- I blog because I enjoy sharing information and helping people. My first three blogs were about Music, Writing and Social Media. I would scour the internet for new music, articles and other interesting information so that others could become knowledgeable or find something useful.
- I blog because I want to become an “expert”. I haven’t yet decided what I want to be an expert on, but blogging about a certain subject means that I’m living it and breathing it every day, and I hope to be recognized as a source of authority on that subject.
- I blog because I want recognition. Like everyone else, I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with completing a project, or achieving success. There’s nothing better to me than when someone says, “Hey nice blog! I read it all the time!”
- I blog because I want to build my online and personal brand. Blogging helps me shape who I am online and build credibility.
- I blog because I want to give employers a snapshot of who I am – what I’m interested, what my passions are, etc.
- I blog because I want to make money for myself, by myself. Or until I get big enough to hire other writers. 🙂
- I blog because I want to influence the content the people of all ages, but especially my generation reads, watches and listens to.
- I blog because it challenges me. As an introvert, it helps me be more outgoing and personal, and it also requires me to commit to a schedule and to excellence. I don’t want to disappoint my readers, whoever they may be.
So those are my Top 10 Reasons for blogging. What are yours?